Post box – on the village green.
Parish noticeboard – also on the village green. This is primarily for Parish Council notices, but may also be used to display posters promoting local events, particularly charitable ones.
Book exchange – this operates from the telephone box on the village green. The principle is basically to take a book or books and replace it with others.
Newspapers – this also operates from the telephone box. Newspapers can be ordered from Devizes Newsagents (tel: 01380 722704) and are delivered to the box every day by 9.30am, for which there is a small charge.
Patney Village Network – this WhatApp group provides sharing of news and information among villagers.
Redhorn News – this is a magazine for the communities of Chirton, Conock, Lydeway, Marden, Patney, Stert, Urchfont, Wedhampton and Wilsford. It is published once a month, delivered to your house and costs £5.00 per year for Patney residents.
If you would like to receive this publication, please contact Tricia Alsop (email@example.com).
Bus services –limited services operate through the village (timetables can be viewed on the Wiltshire Council website).
Trains – the Paddington to Penzance line runs close to the north end of the village. Connections are available at Pewsey, about 15 minutes by car.
Public houses – the nearest pubs are The Millstream in Marden and The Kings Arms at All Cannings, where there is also a village shop.
Waste bins – there are four bins in the village for litter and dog waste. These are situated on the village green, at both ends of the Green Lane bridleway, and at the north of the village before the railway bridge.
Salt bins – there are two yellow bins in the village for use if roads or pathways are very icy. One in Pucklands and the other at the north end of Woodland Road in the ‘’lay-by’’ just past the derestriction sign.
Sport and leisure
- Fishing at Woodside Lakes, which is situated in the village, is on the north side of Woodborough Road just past the lay-by on the way to Beechingstoke. This is open from 07.00am to 07.00pm seven days a week. There is a specimen lake and a general fishing lake with different rules applying to each. For more details and a day ticket call 07557 130208 – money will be collected on the lake bank.
- Devizes has a Leisure Centre which includes a swimming pool, and a variety of other sports are available in the town.
- For golf enthusiasts there is North Wilts Golf Club at Bishops Cannings, Upavon Golf Club at Upavon and a driving range at Sleight.
- There is croquet in Urchfont and shooting at Widdington, just to the west of Upavon.
- There is a secure dog exercising paddock at Foxley Fields on the way to Urchfont, just past the turn to Planks Farm Shop.
- For singers, there is a Chamber Choir in Devizes, and a Male Voice Choir in Pewsey.
- Walking – there are a variety of footpaths and bridleways in and around the village. Please clear up after your dogs and stay on the public rights of way when crossing farmland. Each year lambing starts on or around 1 April so in those areas please keep your dogs under control and on a lead.
Broadband – a new cabinet was installed on the village green in 2017 and broadband speeds have improved significantly as a result.
Defibrillator – installed in September 2018, on the side to the barn in Home Farm on Woodland Road. See the following link for details Defibrillator & photos Sept 2018